A prop from Terminator 2: Judgement Day is one of many up for grabs at an auction in London.Fancy wearing Han Solo’s jacket? Or perhaps donning Indiana Jones’ fedora hat? Or how about a trip on Marty McFly’s hoverboard?
Movie buffs have a chance to get their hands on a treasure trove of memorabilia from fan favourites such as “Star Wars”, “Indiana Jones” and “Back to the Future II” in an auction of film props and costumes in London this month.
London and Los Angeles-based Prop Store, which is selling the items, is putting more than 600 lots from some 150 movies and TV shows, under the hammer on September 20.
“This collection is unique and special just because of the calibre and volume of recognisable and iconic props and costumes,” Props Store founder and CEO Stephen Lane said.
The leading lot of the sale is the jacket worn by Han Solo, played by Harrison Ford, in the 1980 film “Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back”, which is expected to fetch between STG 500,000 – 1 million ($A898 -1,797,545.00)
The blue-grey jacket, which was found by Lane at a costume house and screen-matched, is “the only significant Han Solo costume piece from the original trilogy ever to come to public auction”, the company says.
Other “Star Wars” items include a Stormtrooper helmet from “The Last Jedi” film as well as Anakin Skywalker’s lightsaber from “Revenge of the Sith” movie.
“Back to the Future” fans have the chance to buy one of the hoverboards Michael J. Fox used in the 1989 sci-fi sequel.
A fedora hat Ford wore as Indiana Jones in “Raiders of the Lost Ark” is estimated at 200,000 ($A360,000-540,000).
Other auction items include Captain America’s distressed army rescue costume from the 2011 “The First Avenger” film as well as a Superman costume, worn by Christopher Reeve.
The International Criminal Court says it has authority to investigate Rohingya persecution claims.Judges at the International Criminal Court have ruled that the court has jurisdiction to investigate widespread allegations that Myanmar forces drove hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims from their homes.
The decision opens up the possibility of crimes against Rohingya people being prosecuted at the Hague-based court, even though Myanmar is not a member of the court.
The court said that prosecutor Fatou Bensouda must take the jurisdiction ruling into account “as she continues with her preliminary examination concerning the crimes allegedly committed against the Rohingya people”.
It added that the probe, which aims to establish whether there is sufficient evidence to launch a full-blown investigation, “must be concluded within a reasonable time”.
Richard Dicker, international justice director for Human Rights Watch, said it is “a crucial step for accountability for crimes against the Rohingya and will rock a lot of boats.”
There have been widespread reports of atrocities committed against the Rohingya minority in Myanmar.
Last week, investigators working for the UN’s top human rights body said Myanmar military leaders should be prosecuted for genocide against Rohingya Muslims, taking the unusual step of identifying by name six of those it claims were behind systematic crimes targeting the ethnic minority.
Thursday’s ruling also said that the court can exercise jurisdiction over other crimes, “such as the crimes against humanity of persecution and/or other inhumane acts”.
Myanmar has declined to file a formal response to the court as it considers the jurisdiction issue.
Joe Ofahengaue says his partner’s cancer diagnosis has inspired his good form.Brisbane forward Joe Ofahengaue says his partner’s inspirational battle with breast cancer has been the key to his form resurgence ahead of the NRL finals.
Ofahengaue said unwanted headlines swirling around their coach Wayne Bennett had steeled the young Broncos pack for a title tilt, starting with Sunday’s NRL elimination final against St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium.
However, Tongan international Ofahengaue said the catalyst to his form had been 23-year-old partner Sofi Leota.
“She has been a big drive for me,” the 22-year-old key bench forward said.
“She has been awesome. She has helped everyone around her.”
A brutally honest Ofahengaue shocked TV viewers when he broke the news about his partner’s diagnosis while accepting a man of the match award following Brisbane’s round 11 win over Sydney Roosters in May.
“Well my missus just got diagnosed with breast cancer. I’m hoping I can offer this for some support and maybe pay for some chemo or something,” Ofahengaue told stunned Nine Network reporter Darren Lockyer after being handed the $1000 man of the match cheque.
Ofahengaue said his partner’s strength and his Broncos teammates’ support had ensured it had not been hard to be inspired for the NRL finals.
“She has been awesome. And coming to the club, the guys have been awesome and it just gives me that little getaway place you kind of need sometimes,” he said.
Ofahengaue has hardly looked distracted this season, helping a young Broncos pack make a statement despite off-field drama surrounding Bennett and injuries to Test back-rower Matt Gillett and young gun Payne Haas.
Ofahengaue said the messy fallout over the Brisbane board knocking back Bennett’s request to coach on in 2020 had only made the team stronger as they look to break their 12 year premiership drought.
“I am really proud. We have been through a lot with injuries and obviously what has been written about our club,” he said.
“It has only brought us closer as a team and as a pack it has made us more determined to do our best for our halves.”
Ofahengaue limped off at training on Thursday with a leg and groin complaint but said nothing would stop him from playing.
“I didn’t stretch properly, I got excited. I got a virus – finals fever,” Ofahengaue laughed.
Ben McEvoy says Hawthorn will bounce back from their AFL finals loss to Richmond.A bruising loss to Richmond confirmed plenty of fears about Hawthorn but ruckman Ben McEvoy insists the Hawks have what it takes to avoid a straight-sets AFL finals exit.
Thursday night’s 31-point qualifying-final defeat leaves the Hawks facing the prospect of going winless in September for the second time in three years.
Alastair Clarkson’s men will play a sudden-death semi-final against the winners of Friday’s Melbourne-Geelong elimination final and are likely to be without star defender Ben Stratton, who will have scans on an injured hamstring.
Clarkson had downplayed his team’s form in the lead-up to the finals despite the Hawks storming to a top-four finish on a six-game winning streak.
The Hawks were far from embarrassed on Thursday night but their inability to match the reigning premiers was a reminder that plenty has changed since the glory years of 2013-15.
Despite winning more of the ball, the Hawks had 30 fewer inside-50s than a Richmond side which adapted far better to the greasy conditions.
McEvoy conceded the Hawks had invited Richmond’s fanatical pressure with poor decision-making and the Tigers had been more willing to play “ugly footy”.
But he was confident September would not be a waste, invoking the Hawks’ triumph of 2015 when they lost their qualifying final to West Coast but went on to win their next two games and defeat the Eagles in the grand final.
“It was the first final for a lot of the guys tonight but there’s also a lot of us who have been here before,” McEvoy said.
“We were in this exact position in 2015 so we’ve got full confidence we can turn this around.
“They were the better team tonight and they were too good for us but we certainly believe that our best is still good enough to beat anyone.”
The Hawks bowed out of the 2016 finals in straight sets after finishing third, while they failed to make the top eight last season.
While the likes of Shaun Burgoyne, Luke Breust and Jack Gunston were all down on impact against the Tigers, Brownlow Medal favourite Tom Mitchell was typically prolific and smooth-moving midfielder Jaeger O’Meara shone in his finals debut.
“He’s played some really strong footy all year,” McEvoy said of O’Meara.
“He’s probably been underrated for his consistency.
“Certainly he was pretty good tonight but across the board we just didn’t do enough.”
The former n Border Force boss who accused Peter Dutton’s chief of staff of asking him to help “the boss’ mate” is submitting more evidence to a Senate committee.
Ex-ABF commissioner Roman Quaedvlieg sent a letter to a Senate committee alleging Mr Dutton’s chief of staff Craig Maclachlan asked for help in June 2015.
Mr Dutton has labelled the letter “entirely false and indeed fabricated” and says Mr Maclachlan did not work for him until October 2015.
Mr Quaedvlieg has now sent extra information to the Senate committee, which is investigating Mr Dutton’s use of his ministerial powers to pluck two au pairs from immigration detention.
“I will not comment publicly in the media on the details of my supplementary submission other than to state unequivocally that the effective substance of my original submission stands,” Mr Quaedvlieg said in a statement on Friday.
In an explosive rebuttal of Mr Quaedvlieg’s evidence, Mr Dutton called the former border chief’s mental health into question and said he was bitter about losing his job for misconduct.
Mr Quaedvlieg was sacked from his role after he helped his girlfriend get a job at Sydney Airport.
“I urge Dutton to desist from personal attacks and casting aspersions over my actions, motivation, integrity, reputation and mental health,” Mr Quaedvlieg said.
With a report due on Tuesday, Labor senator Murray Watt believes another public hearing is needed to get to the bottom of the saga.
“These latest revelations and contradictory evidence mean we do need to have another hearing,” he told ABC radio.
“It’s very typical of Peter Dutton, when he’s under pressure, to start throwing mud at other people.”
Cabinet minister Mathias Cormann said the ex-ABF chief’s allegations contained factual inaccuracies.
“Mr Quaedvlieg is obviously not a credible witness here,” Senator Cormann told Sky News.
Mr Dutton overturned his department’s decision to deport a woman in June 2015 and she was given a visa to stay in the country, despite her original plans to work for a former Queensland police colleague of Mr Dutton’s.
Mr Dutton is facing questions over whether he misled parliament by saying there was no personal connection between him and his former police colleague.
He has said he had not spoken to his former police colleague for 20 years but the man did call his office seeking help with the au pair’s case.